Saturday, February 18, 2012

week 3 post 2

A couple things that I learned about “hate speech” is that it is much broader than I originally thought. The web site defines it as “principally racist and anti-Semitic speech”. But the page goes on and describes acts that fall into the category of hate speech which include cross burning. So any act that is racists or anti semitic is consider hate speech. All types of people engage in hate speech, but most descried on this page where those apart of groups that discriminate against others. There have been some countries that ban hate speech, but from what it seems like each country has its own agenda and by doing so they end up discriminating against a group. Example of this is how in Canada gay and lesbian speech is banned but the pornography thrives. Because of how it has already failed in other countries, i thinking censoring the internet would be bad because the government would abuse that power and end forcing their agenda onto us more than they already do. I also think it would violate out constitutional right. I am not to sure of any other ways to reduce hate speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment