Friday, March 2, 2012

week 4 post 1

I thought an important aspect that was reviewed in this chapter was the guidelines for effective listening. the three strategies that are mentioned are be mindful, adapt listening appropriately, and listen actively. being mindful explains that we must put aside our preoccupation and preconceptions so the listener can attend fully what is happening at the moment. The second tip involves the purpose for listening. Each situation has has a different emphasis and being aware of the situation will help listening. Lastly the book talks about listening actively. This means understanding all the aspects that go into listening and recognizing each individual part of and respecting that that will enhance the persons listening skills. Overall, these guidelines help individuals in the communication process known as listening. Listening is an important part of the communication process that is often overlooked, but when paid attention to it can greatly help the entire process 

1 comment:

  1. I also found the guidelines for effective listening to be very helpful. I hadn’t even realized how poorly I had been listening to others until I read this chapter. It has made me question whether or not I’m actually a good listener. Having read about nonlistening, I don’t really think that I am a good listener. However, I’m more than willing to work at it. I think you’re right to point out how listening is often times overlooked when it comes to communication. Most people think speaking is all that matters but the truth is that the best communication is a balance between the two.

    ReplyDelete