The six types of fallacies are perfectionism, obsessions with shoulds, overgeneralization, taking responsibilities from others, helplessness, and fear of catastrophic failure. I think all of these fallacies happen in everyday interpersonal communication. The ones that I have doe a few times are trying to be a perfectionist. The book says a perfectionist has unrealistic self concept, stress, chronic dissatisfaction with self, and jealousy and envious of others. I think i hold myself to a high standard that is sometime unattainable because I want to be successful in life. The funny thing is that it is usually only with things that challenge me, things that come easy i lose interest in and become lazy. I also have a friend who commits the fallacy of fear of catastrophic failure. This is explain as when a person has negative fantasies of what could happen and inability to do things because of what might happen. she often does not strive to do big things because she is afraid of failing, because of this she sets her goals low. I think a way to monitor your interpersonal communication to make yourself to stay away from these fallacies is to be positive and set measurable and attainable goals for yourself.
I liked your last statement, it's true we really must stay away from these fallacies and have a positive and optimistic perspective things instead of ones we might struggle with now. I agree I also try to be a perfectionist, I connected with almost all the fallacies listed in that chart so it was a big eye opener when after reading it. I really want to change my intrapersonal communication within myself because it's not a healthy way to live. I'm sure people who don't connect to these fallacies have a fun, healthy, normal life/perspective on things. I never realized how much I thought these things and I plan on changing that view I have.
ReplyDelete