My definition of family are the people that i am really close with. I do not think that family should be limited to blood related only because there are a select few people that I consider my family but are not related to me. I think that family members do things for each other without expecting something in return. When you do a favor for people you expect something in return. I think that most people would think that my definition is wrong because there are many people that do not know everyone in there family or do not like everyone in there family. Because of this, those people would not do things for those people. I think that culture affects the definition of family, and is why it is different for everyone.
My definition of family revolves around being blood-bound, but I totally understand how you and others would say that you include close friends as family members. And, I agree with you that family members should not expect anything really in return when another family member does something for them. I also agree that culture has a lot to do with how we think about families; for example, I can’t image having to get my parents sign off on my husband – crazy! Or the idea that I would be marrying into his family and he would be marrying into mine. I think we are just (as Americans) much more of an individualistic culture, which means we focus more on ourselves and less on each other and those around us. Right or wrong…just part of our fabric.
ReplyDelete